A different kind of super bowl

About 5 years ago I had the opportunity to go visit Hawaii. I have never forgotten this experience, and actually hope to some day end up in Hawaii. While I was there my cousin, Hannah, who did a Summer visiting student program there showed us some of the great local eats. One of which was an Acai Bowl.

I was browsing Pinterest for recipes one day and came across where someone had re-created the Acai Bowl, so from that point on I craved it. I went out yesterday in search of a frozen acai berry puree, which I found actually at the first store I went to, Sprouts, which is basically an organic farmers market and reminds me of a small scale Whole Foods. I figured that of any place that would have it, Sprouts would. Upon my first trip around the store I saw nothing, but a Bolthouse Farms juice, which would have worked, but it wasn't what I set out for, so I kept searching. I had settled myself to looking for a yogurt when I turned around and found the freezer full of frozen fruits. The product I purchased was by Sambazon. I purchased their Unsweetened Pure Acai Berry Smoothie Packets (link here). These packets would serve as the base for my Acai Bowl.

It doesn't look as amazing as it was, I promise! So here is what we did to create this fabulous Acai Bowl. 

You will need:
1- Sambazon Acai Smoothie Packet
1/2 of a banana (I used a frozen banana)
3/4 cup of vanilla yogurt (I used Dannon's Light and Fit)

Throw those ingredients into your Magic Bullet, Ninja Chopper, or Blender. (I mixed in a Ninja). Mix until they are all pureed together. The banana and yogurt should add natural sweetness, but if you need more, I did add a couple of packets of splenda to sweeten mine.

Now for the toppings:
Honey/Agave Nectar

Honestly, anything goes at this point in the game. The only thing you absolutely need to make an authentic Acai Bowl is the granola, banana, and honey. I added probably about 3/4 cup of granola to the top of my bowl. Then cut up half of a fresh banana to align the edges. My granola was vanilla almond coconut variety so that's where those things came in. I added a few blueberries sprinkled on top and then drizzled agave necar on the top, then put in my spoon and added a little agave onto the spoon (this was a little bonus that they did at the place in Hawaii and I had to add it to mine).

This was so delicious and I will be making it again. It's very easy and very good for you. I mean hello, acai is a superfood!

Don't forget to like my FACEBOOK PAGE to stay updated when there is a new post!

1 comment:

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

That looks and sounds AMAZING! Must try��

Pin It button on image hover