1/31/13

Happy Mardi Gras Y'all!

It was alittle over a week ago when myself and my roommate were craving a king cake something wicked. And just so you know, king cake is one of those things, like blue bell ice cream that are impossible to find out here in Utah. Yeah, my native Louisianan is completely hanging out right now, but I'm not ashamed of it ever. I actually wish my Southern drawl was a little more pronounced. I had one lady say that she couldn't hear anything, which of course scared me and made me want to immerse myself in southern accents so I don't lose what little bit I thought I had.

Anyway, back to the king cake, my friend Michael had a king cake recipe on his blog that he and his family has had much success with. I'm gonna say I am a decent baker, but anything with a dough freaks me out, and I am all about DIY so I asked Michael if he would come over and teach me how to make it. As with any other dough I have attempted, it was surprisingly easy.

I meant to take more pictures during the king cake making process, but I was so eager to start, I forgot...

The finished product, and I do say it was the very best king cake I have ever had in my life.

What else have I been up to? Well a lot.

Let's rewind a little, like back to when I got here to Utah because I have some photos I want to share.


My first encounter with snow in Utah and I am wearing flip-flops. How very naive of me.


I met Rhonda the T-rex. She was duct taped up because she apparently had been trying to eat R2-D2


Ashley and I got crafty and made these fabric covered letters.



Samantha and I went to the Sundance Film Festival and who did we see???

JOSEPH FREAKING GORDON-LEVITT!!!

Paparazzi ain't got nothin' on me!

I tried to copycat buffalo breadsticks from Tommy's Pizza... They were good, but not quite as good as Tommy's.

 I made these vinyl labels using my new Silhouette (which I don't know how/when to use).

I made a yarn wrapped wreath (never again).

I also made two more king cakes for family.

I taught myself to sew! I made two birds that look kinda the same, but have different bellies. And I made this little owl rice bag. I even made up the pattern for said owl. And attempted applique, which my mother says is some advanced stuff.

I made a delicious stir-fry. Feel free to be jealous of my mad skills.

And finally, I leave you with this. Yes, that is a broken char sitting under their tire. And yes, there is a note on it. The note read: "Please do not move this chair, it is keeping my car from rolling back." And that folks introduces you to my ghetto neighbors! They since moved the chair to sit outside their door and the note ended up on our welcome mat. I picked it up and kept it as a memento to go in my smashbook someday.

This concludes my post for the day. I hope you enjoyed it! Also, in case you were wondering, I still don't have a job. I have put in applications basically everyday. I have gone on one interview that I think went well, and the job would be really great on the job experience to go on my resume. So cross your fingers/keep me in your thoughts/keep me in your prayers/wish me well/etc.

Love you!

5 comments:

Laura Abel said...

In the Riverwoods at the Provo Beach Resort, you can get bluebell ice cream... you pay an arm and a leg for it but sometimes, it is worth it!

FranklyBecca said...

Thanks Laura, I am going to have to check this out, even though I have no idea where that is. I'll find it. I am not above selling my appendages to have good ice cream. Some things just aren't worth settling on.

Dalaney & Hannah said...

Um, hello craft queen!! i'm dying over the jgl sighting!!

Ang said...

So jealous of your Sundance Star Sighting!!!

Bethny said...

I may be a smidge biased but...you do have fiercely mad homemaking skills! Love the recap.

Pin It button on image hover